Team Toad: IceMaker
Robots > IceMaker |
- Name: IceMaker
- Driver: Fuzzy Mauldin
- Team: Toad
- Weight: 29.8 pounds
- Top speed: 4 mph
- Cost to build: $750
- Drive motor stats: 2 surplus center gearmotors running at 15 volts
- Drive train stats: 2 4" Colsons
- Batteries: 24 cells of Sony NiMH providing 6 AHr at 15 volts
- Weapon/motor stats: 4 pound chomolly steel blade, 18" by 2" by 3/8", run by a
Modified Team Delta Jensen with a 2:1 chain reduction and a 1" steel shaft.
- Armor thickness: 3/16" 6061-T6 Aluminum front and botton
- Rank: #3 rated featherweight at the Robot Club & Grille
- Record: 5-4 with 5 KOs
IceMaker is Fuzzy's third generation of the propeller spinner (the first was
SnowCone 30 driven by Debbie, and the
second was the 60 pound SnowCone LW which
competed at BattleBots in Season 5.0.
What we learned with SnowCone is that mounting a blade on the motor shaft
bad for the motor.
The main problems with the design are that the surplus center drive motors
are prone to gearbox failure, and the whole thing is a little top-heavy,
and can be easily flipped upside-down.
Still, we consider this bot a successful test of the blade mounting design,
and plan to scale this bot up in the future.